Hemmed in Hollow Part 1 'In Praise of Trekking Poles'

11:23 AM







I found this picture on Google Images, but the link was crummy. Sorry for stealing!

Long I have laughed at the dorks with the ski poles walking briskly across dry land like they are out to accomplish something important. Well, the joke is on me and I have joined those dorky ranks wholeheartedly. After a couple of minor knee injuries the last couple of months due to overuse in the gym and on the trail, I decided to invest on some of these so-called trekking poles as I knew I would be using them every month on one of the steepest trails in the area.
Let me back up a bit.


I am cool, right guys? Guys? Wait up guys!

Last year, my brother Ryan and I decided to make a new years resolution together. Usually these resolutions are goofy and not fulfilled (learn to be ambidextrous, eat only orange things, etc.). However, when the idea to hike every month came up, we both liked it. Not only hike, but hike the Hemmed In Hollow Trail in the ponca Wilderness in Arkansas every month. The trail to Hemmed-In Hollow Falls, one of the tallest waterfalls between the appalachians and the Rockies, is a very steep descent (more than 1,000 feet in elevation change) over about 2.5 miles. Round trip, the hike is only 5 miles, but after you drop that 1,000 + feet, you have to turn around and climb back up again. We like the idea for the following reasons:


  • To Set  A Fitness Goal: We will keep loose time on each trip and see if we get faster.


  • To Study Phenology: Fancy word for the observation of changes with the seasons. Read ‘A Sand County Almanac’ by Aldo Leopold for a great example. I have gotten to see my yard and the trail at my work change throughout the year, but never such a dramatic natural location as the hollow.


  • To Actually Use all of our Outdoor Gear: I have spent too much time and money on foul-weather gear that never gets used. As we have set our hike dates for the year already, we will inevitably encounter some funkiness and get to put our stuff to the test.
  • To Spend Quality Time Together: Ryan recently moved from 7 feet away to 70 miles away and we need to do things together that don’t involve instruments every once in a while.


So, we set out. Like I said, I have had some knee issues for several years and a recent flare up got me thinking about poles. I sent Ryan a text to the effect of “I am going to be a total dweeb and use trekking poles.” He responded in an appropriate derogatory tone and I continued my research with a new-found independence from what others think about me. By the time we both looked into them and prepared to leave, Ryan was suddenly on-board and we both walked out with our ticket to sideways glances and snickers on the trail.

This was my approximate look standing in Bass Pro at 7am.

After using them, I don’t even care a little bit. Here’s why:


  • They take weight off them tired joints: You can take as much as 25% of the force that would be on your knees and ankles and put them on your arms and shoulders.


  • You haul butt: We were nearly running down these steep descents with no fear. On flat sections, you really can feel yourself being propelled by your arm strength.


  • You literally cannot fall...ever: We crossed ice sheets, wet creek stepping stones, and slimy thawing mud flats. Never lost a step.


  • You can poke stuff: Always useful.

Ryan traversing the very dangerous ice. He is 80 at heart. 


After a fairly strenuous and quick hike, my knees felt great and my legs didn't feel the usual dragging fatigue. My arms and shoulders were tired though, so I knew it was effective! Take home message: Get some trekking poles and thank me later.

Be Inspired.


The secondary purpose of this post is to start a series of hike recaps. Since we will hike every month, and I have no shortage of inspiring and applicable thoughts bouncing around in my ol’ melon, it is my goal to write a post for every trip. On our first one, we hiked with my dog, Bo, and some water and snacks. We made it up and down the trail in a little over 3 hours and added a mile or so extra by wandering aimlessly up a creek for a while before turning back after Ryan astutely observed a log he did not remember crossing on the way down. As the sun began to reach the depths of the hollow, rocks warmed, mud formed, and ice retreated. This happened gradually and all-at-once. On the way down, we noted what sounded like shotgun blasts two or three times. We chalked it up to nearby farm good fun that was hopefully harming no one. As we continued down the trail, we noticed huge ice stalactites hanging from the bluff, impressive to behold even from a distance. When we were about 100 yards from the actual falls, we heard the blast again, but this time it came from above us and was followed by crashing brush and leaves. After much fuss and racket, a watermelon sized chunk of ice rolled hurriedly out of the woods and across the trail about 20 feet away from me. We retreated swiftly from the shadow of the bluff and its hanging icicles of doom.
Go ahead, come a little closer...


Otherwise, the trip was blissfully uneventful. We had 4 hours in the car to talk of life and love, and 3 or so hours on the trail to breath heavily and point at things. The sun shined on our backs, leaves rustled with happy squirrel doings, and trekking poles made us 4-legged speed beasts.


Once a quarter, Ryan and I will attempt the hike by ourselves to catch up on life and challenge our past times. Any other time we go is open to the public. We are planning to go on the second Saturday of each month as best as we can manage that. Please contact us and join!

-Rob Hunt

P.S.
For more funny pictures of people using trekking poles on sidewalks, look up Nordic walking. Also, 5 bucks to whoever can find a still-shot of Oscar Bluth on his walkabout from Arrested Development.

You Might Also Like

0 comments