My View From the Front Porch

8:56 AM



It is well documented that peoples’ social networks narrow with age. In college, I could hardly throw a Frisbee without hitting somebody I knew. Traditionally, when we finish school and entered the Busy World, life gets lonelier.  I have found, however, that community still exists for those who seek it out intentionally. From the arts, to civic engagement, to the neighborhood, many thriving communities swirl around us.

Intentionally community is not just for college students and twentysomethings. If I live long enough, I fully intend to keep on being in intentional community throughout old age and retirement, playing bridge somewhere in an intergenerational intentionally community, preferably by the beach. I just love sharing life with friends.

My path has taken me to many community-rich places so far. I discovered the joys of community in college, living in a six-person suite and reading The Great Good Place. Next, I lived in a new-monastic intentional community. Then I lived in an cohousing neighborhood with friends who felt like family. I even had the opportunity to visit East Wind, the largest and oldest intentional community in Missouri.

I am now part of Spare Key, an intentional community in Springfield, MO that is full of people who enjoy sharing life together as a way of fostering common goals. I live in the West-Central neighborhood, near Urban Roots Farm which is a hub of community all its own. If you are in Springfield and interested in intentional community, come check us out! There are lots of ways to get involved.

Psychologist Martin Seligman says there are five elements of happiness: meaning, engagement, positive emotion, accomplishment, and relationships. I find that being part of an intentional community contributes to all five elements in ways large and small. I am thankful for all my friends and communities, and I look forward to many more great experiences to come.


(Jay's View from the Front Porch, Fall 2014)
sparekeycommunity@gmail.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments