Thread, Friendship & Chevron

6:11 PM

A post by Bethany Bell

My mom used to call me her "domestic diva." I guess that was a fitting nickname. I love taking an ordinary space and filling it with beautiful decor to make it feel like home. I enjoy inviting people to my house and serving them fun desserts. I adore receiving kitchen gadgets as gifts, but mostly I just like to create pretty things.

‘A beautiful thing’ print by Lisa Barbero.
Last December, our group at Spare Key made our first communal purchase together: a sewing machine. It was a great experience that required working together and sharing the load of a financial investment. Amber, our resident sewing expert, put on a very informative demonstration to teach us all how to sew, and now, this domestic diva is hooked.

As a newly wed, first-time home owner, my first project was to cover throw pillows, so they would match our new living room. Picking out fabric was difficult for me because there were so many wonderful options. I ended up selecting a mix of three patterns: a navy Moroccan print, a colorful letter design and an olive green chevron pattern. Because, why not?

My finished project
From how to thread a bobbin to the importance of measuring, I learned a lot from my first sewing project. One of my pillows is completely crooked in the back and another one of the pillow cases is a bit loose, but I'm proud of the final results. After all, a beautiful thing is never perfect.

Next, Amber and I plan to make scarfs, and we picked out fabric this weekend. I'm really excited about all of the crafting possibilities that knowing how to sew opens up for me. It is so wonderful to be a part of a group of people who celebrate creativity and share their talents with one another. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments